Saturday 15 May 2010

Break with tradition.

When I decided to write this blog,  It was with the intention of  telling the story of my life on the road and not to discuss the company be it good or bad, however, after the conversation I had with a senior member of management today I have decided to break with that rule and let you know what I have had to deal with this past few days

As I have outlined below I am at present in a Hotel in Buffalo as a result of my truck breaking down again, I get a phone call from said member of Management this afternoon to discuss the next move as the repair shop confirmed it will be mid to end of next week before my truck is ready.

I was asked if I would contact one of the drivers passing Buffalo to pick me up and I was to ride shotgun back to to PEI. From there I was told if a trainee driver was going out I could jump in with him then jump out in Buffalo to collect my truck on the way up to Ontario! Basically nurse maid them around free of charge for a week!

During this conversation I requested a new truck due to the amount of time mine has been in the shop over recent months, I was told NO, there are drivers who have been there longer than I and they would take priority, which is a direct crock of crap as a driver from another company joined us a few weeks ago and he got straight into a brand new truck.  Never mind the fact that my truck is costing me in earnings, and the company in repair bills, hotel costs, etc. They still have half a dozen brand new trucks parked up at the shop doing sweet F/A but we are expected to continue with  unreliable equipment. That really pisses me off, I hate being lied to. So I am now expected to share trucks with other drivers while all my gear is in my truck, so I'm expected to live like a frigging tramp for the next week or until I can get back to buffalo to collect my truck.  Great way to look after your staff, they are really going to get a lot out of me in future! NOT!!!!!!!!!
I have tried to let things like this go over my head and tell myself this is how it is, but this has crossed my line of decency. Christ this is how life on the road was 20 years ago.  I will not name the individual with whom I had the conversation however those who work with me will know exactly who I am referring to.

Its quite clear and has been for quite some time this individual does not give a shit about the drivers or their welfare. Its all about making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.   We make the sacrifice put in the effort go beyond the limits and what is our thanks?  Sweet F*** All.  It seems we have a 3 tier workforce here,

  1. New drivers who have next to nothing expect the desire to succeed and want to earn a living and who get pushed and pressured into running long hours and delivery schedules which are nigh on impossible to achieve legally.
  2. Drivers who have obtained their PR who are not pressured so much as they can go to any other company they want if they are pushed too far and are treated like the new drivers above.
  3. Canadian or American drivers or drivers who come from other companies who demand they get a new truck and  from what I have seen get preferential treatment of equipment, loads, etc etc.
Its not sour grapes on my part and I accept there is a seniority tree in any company, but when there are drivers having to use equipment past its best and new equipment standing idle, well there is a serious problem which needs to be addressed. I came here to earn a living and create A FUTURE for my family however its becoming clearer by the day us European drivers are a dime a dozen and our welfare, feelings or driver comfort are completely ignored so long as the trucks move that's all that this company representative cares about.

I'm sure that representative's from the company will at some point read this and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the content of above in greater detail.  

However if such a invite is not forthcoming then I know that they really don't give a damn.

 If this post ends up being my demise with this company so be it, I will no longer be treated as a commodity.  I have standards and I have a right to speak my mind, this is my personal blog. To my understanding free speech has not been outlawed and therefore I will exercise my right to free speech. And if I upset or offend any individual or party, well tough shit, I have always spoken my mind and will continue to do so when I feel the need to do so.

I hope the next post will be on a more positive note and topic. Time will tell.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Steve!
    At first, excuse my english. I'm German. Thomas, my husband had worked one year for the red company on PEI! And we decided after many discussion, that is not our way to live. We are now in Alberta and Thomas is looking for another company. The red Company was a painfull experience for us. Every trip I was going with Thomas, we had a very bad feeling. Hurry, hurry, the load must be on time and than waiting, waiting, often for more than three days of a new load. I can understand you so much and I hope for you, there is an other way to live in Canada. It's not easy. Many companies rip off the european drivers. But I think, that is the rate, you have to pay, when you want to live in this country. A very hard price, but after the PR you have a chance of a very better life here, as in Europe. I hope, you can find your way here and the best wishes from a German woman for you.
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    congrats to write this post and tell everybody what's going on in this company!
    They'll give a sh** on the drivers, as long as the truck is rollin' and makes money for THEM, everything is okay. I was sure, that YOU and other drivers also will recognize soon, that this company is ripping the european drivers off (hopefully these are the right words, please excuse, I'm still German after more than one year being in Canada) and that was the reason I left this company.
    I'm so happy that you have balls to tell the people the truth!
    Try to get another job in another company, my advice! Not PEI, look for another province!
    It will not be an easy way, but better than to live on PEI with no chance to switch the companies and being ripped off.
    I know, that's not easy to find a GOOD company as long as you are in Canada with a TWP, but I don't think it can be worse than at this company...
    If you leave, be advised, they won't give you a written reference!
    They want references from you but they don't provide you with one.
    I think, time will come and all the new drivers will notice after a while that it's not worth to work for this company, time will tell.
    I hope the best for you and wish you all the best for the future!

    Greetings from Alberta,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi steve,
    forgot something!
    Read this Blog:
    http://grumpyoldtrucker.com/changing-carriers/

    It's the Blog of Bill, a Canadian O/O who was driving for this company.
    I met him a few times, he's a really good guy and it's the truth, what he's writing.

    Greets,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. you will be alot better off at my company. they are willing to take drivers that are on work permits already, so go to my blog for the details and get in touch with them. the pay is loads better too.
    Drive safe
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can feel what is the discrimination! I' and many other polish felt same by YOU and by YOUR idiot alcoholist nation in england!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ontario Canuck16 May 2010 at 00:23

    Hmmm....if your current employer doesn't appreciate your work and dedication efforts, perhaps they may have noticed "Driver Dave's" blog has a large notice advertising for truck drivers at his company. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous,
    Firstly thank you for your reply however what it quite has to do with my blog post I have no idea, Secondly I'm welsh not english you moron. And finally if you are unhappy about the way you are treated in Britain, Piss off back to Poland. I never cried discrimination unlike yourself who if I judge you by your fellow countrymen I have meet, are a complete set of whinging cry babies who feel the world should all do as you demand. My advice be a man identify yourself, I hate gutless little shits like you who run their mouth off and refuse to front up and hide behind "Anonymous" .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Attention Mr Anon, no doubt Polish person.

    I've driven through your country on numerous occasions, a more moronic bunch of cretins would be hard to find, along with your bribe demanding police force. Alcohol? Hello Pot, kettle here... You guys are pissed for a living.
    We have to get an LMO & Permit to work in Canada, we have NO rights here or social security benefit, unlike you & your bunch of scrounging countrymen im UK. Who of course work for peanuts... WHY? Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve, this all makes sorry reading, and I hope you can sort something out with the company.
    I received an e-mail recently from one of your drivers asking me to post very similar things on my H&R blog, but suggested he do it himself as a comment (he didn't bother).
    Drive safe mate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Matey, hope you are feeling better. Im glad you finally said the way it is as you know how things went for me at the beginning, we are treated with little respect but they know that we will suck eggs to get our PR, but as I thought is it all worth it... only we can decide as indiviuals. I hope you dont give up your dream. i will be standing behind you like any good freind would and will continue to read and support you fully. Keep safe and stick to your pricipals my freind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All i can say is,take there shit and when your time is right give them more shit than they give and dont give up.....as for the poles keep polishing ya polish polish,
    Good on you lads for standing up to H&R.
    using women and children to bully drivers.they stink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Steve!
    How are you? And where are you?
    Still at Bulk? Got a job now at H&R and it looks not bad in the moment, LMO was pretty fast, from application till WP two weeks!
    If it's better here, don't know, time will tell.
    Can't be worse than at Bulk ;-)
    H&R is looking for drivers, could be a chance for you and the other Brits at Bulk to make a change.
    If you want more information, send me an email!

    Greets from Alberta,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete