Thursday 15 March 2012

Short Miles, Snow & Overweight Fines.

Was given a dispatch on Friday 9th March for Westborough Massachusetts, live load Charlottetown with fries for a 2am delivery on Monday 12th. Seems straightforward enough eh?  It would have been, but its only 11 hours door to door, just a good days drive, what the hell was I going to do on the Saturday after loading?  Drop the trailer back at Cavendish and had an extra day at home with the family, tidy :-)

Left 7am Sunday, stopped at Walmart for supplies in Newport ME on the way down, a fairly uneventful run down, got to Westborough early evening.  Now normally its a slow tip but this new fella in the warehouse was very quick, a little careless but quick, he only damaged 9 boxes of fries! but I was out within 45 mins.

Sent my empty macro and went back to bed, satellite went off at 8.45am.  Load at Tropicana NJ for Robert Transport in Boucherville just outside Montreal for the following day.

Tipped the following morning and went to our Terminal in Dorval, arrived at midday and that's where I stayed. No dispatch all day so I went to bed at 21.30, I expected to get a pre-plan in the early hours, how wrong was I.  23.30 BEEP!  WTF?????  Sent them a message telling them I had only just gone to bed as I had been waiting all day for a dispatch, no problem so I left at 04.30.  trailer switch at the Drummondville Terminal.  Picked up a trailer bound for Dieppe, it felt heavy and its the spring thaw weight restrictions in Quebec, I had a bad feeling about the trailer but not knowing where there was a scale I had to go to the government scale at Montmagny, over a 100 mile away.  Put it on the bridge and then got directed to the scale master. Turns out I was right,  I was 2400kg over on the drive axles.  even given the maximum tolerance per axle I was still 1600kg over gross.  A few calls to dispatch and they sent a truck from Quebec City to rework my load and take some freight off me. 5.25 hours later and $494.00 I finally was allowed to leave.

With all the delays it meant I could not make Dieppe and arrangements were made to switch trailers with another driver at Murry's Truck stop in Woodstock. Stopped there the night and continued on to Moncton the following morning. The weather was terrible, a lot of snow had fallen overnight so the journey took a little longer than normal. After switching trailers again in Dieppe I finally got home Thursday midday.    Was so glad to be home, it was a rubbish trip, short miles, snow & overweight fines, a trip to forget.  

1 comment:

  1. holly crap that's a big fine I know that hurt the worst fine I have had in 7 1/2 yrs is $29 for being 600lbs over on trailer I was able to slide axle and get on my way

    ReplyDelete