Saturday 31 March 2012

Fries, Miles and Mushroom Spawn Multi Drop.

Due to having to renew my work visa I had requested a run that would give me time to do this at the border. Got a great load for Gouldsboro PA, leaving Saturday 17th March and Delivering on Monday 19th at 2pm. A load of french fries.  Its only just over a good days drive, about 15 hours  so after renewing my Visa on Saturday night I stayed at Murrys truckstop in Woodstock for the night.

Next morning off we went south, towards Pennsylvania.  The usual stop at Walmart for supplies then onwards.  An uneventful trip down, fueled in the TA at Portsmouth NH and decided to spend the night at the TA at Maybrook NY. I arrived at my destination at 10am with hope that they may take the delivery early, no chance!  15 mins before my booked delivery time I get called in.



View Larger Map

So after a fairly quick unload I was given a reload out of Coatesville PA.  The freight was Mushrooms, or so I thought. 2.5 hours drive I arrive in a very dodgy area of Pennsylvania, thankfully the collection site was tucked away in a nice quiet corner so a good nights sleep was had.

On the bay getting loaded with the spawn.
0600 the next morning in I go to pick up my mushrooms!  What I thought was going to be mushrooms turned out to be in fact Mushroom Spawn.  30000lb of it in fact, the most unusual was the 6 skids of  Oyster and Shitaki mushroom logs.

So with the paperwork faxed to Customs, trailer sealed, coffee made, off we go heading towards Pittsburgh then Toledo for the night. I was surprised when I left Coatesville and headed north on the US30 that it was a very large Dutch Amish community in that area and that traditional methods of farming are still being used, horse drawn ploughs etc, transport was still by horse and carts in amongst todays modern transport methods. 

The following morning after a nice long shower it was off to The Motor City Detroit to cross back into Canada at Windsor and on to my first delivery at Kingsville, then a short 3.5 miles to the 2nd drop at Leamington.  A slightly longer run to the 3rd drop at Harley the a 2 hour trip to Wingham north of Waterloo and a very unexpected treat, not only did I get to see how the the Oyster & Shitaki mushrooms were grown I got to take a trip in this bad boy,

Ford Mustang GT California Special.  Chiped to 529hp.... Awesome!

Once the fun was over it was back to work and had to run back to our Brampton Terminal for the night.

Following morning I get a load of sample kitchen towel from the Tissue plant in Toronto to go to the Tissue plant in Dieppe and an uneventful trip back home.  A total of 2917 miles in 7 days, a little longer than I am used to being away but I managed to get a lot done for myself at the same time. 

Monday 26th March.

Got a dispatch to Rotterdam in New York State with a load of Tissue Deliver Wednesday 28th at 2pm.  Arrived in Rotterdam the night before and managed to get unloaded 3 hours earlier than my appointment. A quick 200 mile to Tropicana in Jersey City NJ and picked up a loaded trailer for Boucherville just outside Montreal, delivered this load at 1130 on Thursday, great back to the terminal in Dorval and an early morning dispatch on Friday 30th be home for supper.

Thats when the wheels fell off this train!  Arrived at the terminal at 1400 hrs and was finally dispatche 22 hours later!  A loaded SLH trailer for Moncton, got as far as Lincoln NB before calling it a day.

Dropped the trailer at SLH and then an empty trailer back to the Island.  A short run but home for the weekend again.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment