Sunday 1 November 2009

From An Idea To A Reality

June 26th 2009, the day that changed the direction of both mine and my family's future. Another job gone thanks to the recession. This can't go on any longer were the words I said to my wife that evening when I got home. Maxine my wife then said over dinner why don't we move to find work, I told her why move to somewhere in England to have this happen again at a later date. Then the Idea was born, not England she said, Canada!
That was me sold, the next 4 months have been a blur, research,research, applications for criminal record checks, driving history reports, research,research, job applications sent, phone calls made, very long days sat in front of my P.C, gallons of coffee, cigarettes, late nights, research, research, research. All applications were met with, "thanks for your interest, but we are not hiring right now". Brick wall after Brick wall.

We had finally decided on two locations we wanted to settle, Favorite:- PEI.
Last resort:- Lethbridge, Alberta.

September 2009.   Breakthrough, interest from Bulk Carriers PEI & H&R in Lethbridge.
Spoke to both and the feedback was very positive, we had everything crossed for Bulk Carriers (did not like what I was reading about H&R). Got confirmation of the interview with H&R in Gateshead (there is another story in itself) September 27th 08.30. Ok so no news from Mike at Bulk Carriers in the meantime, so it was looking like H&R as the last resort, then out of the blue, an e-mail from Mike at Bulk a week before we were due to fly to Newcastle, a few phone calls to PEI and the deal was done, "How soon can you be here" was the question, my reply "how soon do you want me there!".

October 2009. The countdown was on, Thursday 29th was the agreed date to fly to Canada. The next few weeks were spent shopping for warm winter gear, finalising everything back home, goodbyes to say.

Thursday 29th October 2009. Started at 04.30am Everybody up after 3.5hrs sleep! on the road at 6.30 into Clapham first to drop off one of our puppies to its new Owners, 12.30 arrive at Heathrow, checked my baggage (23kg allowance, actual weight 33kg got away with that- tidy!)  then the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life, 13.30pm say goodbye to my Wife and Son at the departure gate in Terminal 3 at Heathrow. I will never forget the look on their faces as I left them behind, but in the lead up to that point we kept reminding ourselves what we were doing it for, it still did not make it any easier, lots of hugs, kisses and tears, yes i'm not ashamed to admit it some of them were mine. A quick stop via duty free for my 200 cigarettes and to gate 26 with 5 minutes to spare, phew, nothing like cutting it fine!. Boarded the plane and at 14.30 we were off on route to Montreal, arrived 17.30 local time, through customs, then Immigration. half an hour and Cad$150.00 later, TWP was in hand, YES!!!!. Right have to kill 3 hours before my connection, first thing - a smoke,  checked baggage again, then security, no problem, off to gate 21A. Some kind person had put a bar right in front of the gate, oh well when in Rome, so a few Buds later, well several actually we got a message, "The flight to Charlottetown has been delayed by 30 mins". Great I had been on the go for 21 hours and now a delay! 22.00 local we took off, I remember taking off then the flight attendant waking me on approach to Charlottetown.

12.05 the cab picked me up for the Motel and the driver was a bloody Croatian! They get everywhere! 12.30 got my key, 12.35 was met by a skunk outside my room, 01.30 unpacked, undressed and in Bed. 24 hours from Bed to Bed I was Knackered.

30th October. Surfaced about 10am, showered, shaved, dressed, Mike picked me up about 11am then off to meet the Guys at Bulk, its the most weird feeling actually seeing the company in real life after all the build up and just seeing pictures and phone calls. 
The guys were great, off then for my Social Insurance Number, lunch at Harvey's then to Canada Trust to open my Bank Account. No appointment, No problem said the lady on the desk, 20 mins later account opened, bank card in hand, money deposited, and out the door, Jeff at the bank was a star, Lloyds, Barclays, HSBC, etc you could learn a bit from these guys.  Back to Bulk, all paperwork sorted, then had the last hour with the guys in the workshop. 5pm off home then grocery shopping, how many types of milk do you need? 
Spent the rest of the evening reading my Air Brake Manual.

31st October. Happy Halloween everyone, spent a lazy day on the internet talking to my lovely wife on Skype, what a tremendous invention its going to save me a fortune, and the wife just loves to see me when talking to me, its made us both feel a hell of a lot better. 
Well its 12.45 am Sunday November 1st and thats the story so far. Now the next chapter begins, Getting my licenses and getting behind the wheel, Stay tunned, for the next installment, comming soon to a computer screen in front of you. Lol. 



The Trans Canada Highway runs through Cornwall.



An Old International in Cornwall, driver's gone to get Coffee!



                                            My local shopping plaza in Cornwall




          

2 comments:

  1. Nice big pictures taffy, and it didn't take you long from idea of a move, to arrival in Canada did it?
    Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mick, I hope that this shows what can be done when you put your mind to it, and also will encourage others that if they want it they can do it too, i'm living proof now. lol.
    Hope you and Cath are well.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete