Sunday 15 November 2009

End of Week Two


Its been a fairly uneventful week, got to do a fair bit of driving out with Greg.



I have to say this guy has nerves of steel, he must have when i'm driving! lol. This is him waiting for the guys to finish packing a load of spuds so we can take it back to the yard..

We have spent a fair bit of time out on the road this week and I have got to see a bit more of the Island, it truly is breathtaking, I have to say its on a par with the Welsh coast and countryside. Its been a beautiful week weather wise here on PEI this week, with clear blue skys, and very warm temperatures, even to the point where we were working in t-shirts outdoors.

Friday was a great day spent the morning doing some house keeping in the workshop (cleaning to me and you), also washing out the trailers ready for loading next week, took some photos of the trucks enjoying the sunshine,


A couple of the new Prostars I had been using to move trailers.



Old Meets new for a spot of sunbathing.

Well lunchtime came and Melvyn, Donny and I jumped in the truck and headed for the plaza to get lunch.
I grabed some chicken tenders (bonless pieces of chicken breast in a KFC type coating) and a large side of wedges and a honey and garlic dipping sauce, food in hand Donny said we were going to the woods to eat the food. Well nothing prepared me for what happened next. We drove back past the yard, past Donnys lot where he's building a house, on to a dirt track, ok I thought he must have his current house up here, then he turned through a gap in the fence into a field! so off we set over this field and started heading for the woodland, as we got closer to the treeline I could just see a small opening through the trees in we went and turned through some trees which opened out to reveal this.



Donny and his friend had cleared the trees and built this cabin.



Melvyn on the left, Donny on the right outside the cabin.

What a spectacular setting, you almost expected to see bears wandering past (we don't have them on the Island) and other wildlife, it felt as if you were miles from civilisation, but in reality we were only 10 mins away from it, so back to work we went, the most enjoyable lunch I have ever had. At 2pm we got a call to collect a load of lobster from a company up in Souris, so that was the rest of our day taken care of, we took one of the prostars, that was a nice change to drive after the 9400i.

Saturday 14th November.
Today was my first venture to the shopping mall in Charlottetown, Now its a real bugger when you don't have your own transport here, because some bright spark in the transit authority has decided not to run a bus service from Cornwall to Charlottetown on a saturday!!!!! So I had to take a cab, $12 each way compared to the bus during the week of $2 each way. Had to start buying the stuff for my truck like new bedding, satellite radio, towells,etc. Also bought a new mobile phone as the wankers at orange (no the future is not bright) have still not sent me my unlock code despite 2 requests. Now I just have to wait for my number from Rogers the phone company and can activate my phone. Had a nice time out shopping, had a Wendy burger for lunch, a little treat to myself then off to Canadian Tire, Old Navy & Wall-Mart. Called a cab about 7.30 and back home for a pizza and a few cold ones!

Sunday 15th November.
A drivers work is never done! Laundry day, I do enjoy this, put the washing liquid in, put clothes in, close lid, insert $1.25 and switch it on, simple, return an hour later transfer to dryer, insert $1.25 select crease free, switch on and walk away, return an hour later fold clothes, job done NO IRONING!!! love it. The wife will love that aspect when she gets here and we are in our own house. Going off to get some groceries and a pack of cold ones now so I can have a relaxing day watching TV. Hope to get a date for my road test tomorrow, so stay tunned for the next installment of Steves Trucking Big Canadian Adventure, comming soon to a screen in front of you!  P.S. I would like to thank my wife for pointing out my spelling mistakes whilst writing this blog, love & miss you honey xxx    

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see everything is going well Steve, was starting to worry a bit whilst reading about your lunch trip in the cabin, tought he might be taking you meet his "special friend" in the woods! :)
    Stay safe and good luck with your test, catch you soon, Mark

    ReplyDelete