Monday 2 November 2009

First Day as a Bulk Carriers Employee.

Mike picked me and Ian up at 8am and set off to my new career, It was a beautiful sunny morning here in Cornwall, I think the gods were looking after me today.  Arrived and Helped Ian unload his bags as he was flying back to the UK to go on holiday to Florida with his family, have a great time mate, enjoy. 

First thing after saying goodmorning to Mel, Donny & Blaine, ride shotgun with Blaine to change trailers at Canadian Tire (its like a Halfords Mega, Mega store) in Charlottetown. Took one of the new prostars with a 53' tandam, I was amazed just how smooth and agile these rigs were, in the right hands Blaine made it look so easy.  

Spent  the rest of the morning talking to them about various truck related issues, getting to know the layout in the engine compartment, running gear, braking systems etc. Ian was also a great help answering questions showing me things I would need to know, was introduced to a few of the other drivers, then off for lunch.

After lunch, got my head back into my air brake manual, then was asked to help Donny tourqe some trailer wheel nuts up, right he said thats the service finished can you go drop the trailer and park the unit up, well you did not have to ask me twice, so i jumped in the drivers seat, confirmed a few things about the controls etc, did not know they have their version of powered take off in the Prostars, nice, liked that. finally coaxed it in to low gear and off we went, now I have never driven a truck with a bonnet, sorry hood! so I was a bit cautious leaving the shop, mindfull of the 53' of trailer behind me. out into the yard swung round to the left and looked to put it in the last but one bay on the right. It was then my one and only brain cell decided to revert to European mode! I had now lined up to reverse in on my blind side!!!!!! Supid thick welsh......., Anyway, a quick move and I was ready to bend the trailer in on the correct angle, I am very pleased to say I only needed 1 shunt to get it in to a space with only 2 feet either side of the trailer, more important so was Donny who was watching from across the yard.
Dropped the trailer and parked the unit up and back to my study's feeling slightly pleased with my first experience behind the wheel of a north american rig.

This is just a quick update as I have to get my head back in the air brake book. As I have my air brake test 08.45 Friday.
Steve 

3 comments:

  1. hi steve can you tell me what you have paid out up to now and what you still have to pay and what bulk is paying ie who,s paying for your work permit and hotel and things like that, thanks steve and all the best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johnbob, I would be happy to help with your question however I feel it would be inapropriate to do so via this blog. Please contact me via the facebook link above the world clocks and send a private message to me.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep... you're blind side has changed position... lol... That's a problem you English guys have overhere...

    Seems like a very nice company, Bulkcarriers..!! I feel good for you..!! Keep writing..!!

    Cheers, Wim (Fland)

    ReplyDelete