Thursday 19 November 2009

Sorry its late but, Passed My Road Test Yesterday.

Wednesday November 15th @ 12.15pm (local time) my examiner shook my hand and informed me I had passed the Class 1 roadtest.

Phew, was I glad to hear those words, I had done it I had achieved what I set out to do, become a fully qualified North American Truck Driver. I had forgotten how good the feeling was, its been 18 years since I passed my UK class 1. But to do the Canadian Class one in two and a half weeks was something else.

Now the real learning starts, I always remember a very close friend telling me after I passed my UK Class 1.
"well you have only satisfied an examiner in controlled conditions now you will start to learn for real" Those words were as true 18 years ago as they are today.

So after going in to the test centre and parting with $50 and my photo taken I walked out with my Canadian Class 1 license. Now here's a tip for those of you who don't check things when your given them, CHECK IT! and double check. It was only when I returned to the office was it pointed out to me that my air brake endorsement had not been added to the Class 1 license, I could still not drive a truck without it. Oh well another trip to the department of transportation. They were great and sorted that out within 15 mins. A very big thank you to all the people who have made this possible, there are too many to mention but you know who you are. But one person I must mention is my wonderful wife for believing in me, this is for you honey xxx.

Thursday 19th November.

Well its been a real busy day today getting things done around the shop, and then I get the news I've been waiting for "your off on your first mentor trip and your leaving Sunday morning", not sure where to yet but will find out Friday.  Also heard that one of the other lads out on his mentor trip is on his way to Nevada!!

I only brought winter gear!

Well we'll know tomorrow, then this Trucking Big Adventure really gets into gear (sorry about the punn).

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    congrats to your Canadian Class 1!
    Now the adventure begins, I'm now here for 8 months and I enjoy every day (there will be bad and good days), but it's great to drive here in North America!
    Hopefully we will see us on the yard,
    Greets, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Done Steve!!!!!

    Now the adventure really begins

    Enjoy and keep us updated with all of your travels

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve, hows it going out there?, sounds like everything is going to plan so far for you, we must have a good chat, was wondering if you want to exchange telephone numbers, you can maybe help me out with some questions I have, seeing as I am coming out soon as flights have to be booked, I had a delay happen due to a personal reason with family memeber, cheers Dave & Co

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for your kind words i'm chuffed now i've passed the test so I can get out there and do the job for real.

    Tom. Can you give me access to your blog

    Dave. Send me your nome Tel No on a PM on facebook or the forum I'll call you its cheaper using my phone card or use Skype.

    ReplyDelete